The candle wax and fragrance oils we use in our candles are sensitive to both temperature and light, so please be careful when storing candles for an extended period of time. If you store your candle, be sure it is in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight or intense light. Keeping it in a dark place like a cupboard or box will protect it from fading and discoloration.
Since our candles can be sensitive to extreme cold and heat, it’s best to store them between 50ºF and 85ºF. Be sure not to leave our candles in your car for an extended period of time (particularly on hot days) as they may melt or discolor. Extreme cold may cause cracking and separation. After long exposure to cold temperatures, allow the candle to return to room temperature for at least 2 hours before unboxing or burning it.
Burning Tips & Safety
- Always burn your candles within sight. Keep candles away from things that catch fire, and away from children and pets.
- Burn candles on a protected, heat-resistant surface away from other heat sources, Remove all debris before each lighting.
- Keep your candle’s wick at the length indicated on the instruction label, and trim if needed before relighting (a wick trimmer can be handy!).
Candles in Glass Vessels®
(Original Jar Candles, Signature Candles, 3-Wick Candles, Ribbonwick® Candles, etc.)
- Please handle glass containers with care. Avoid glass-to-glass contact when removing or replacing the lid. Do not use if the jar is cracked, chipped, or scratched. Do not refill with wax.
- Do not allow the flame to touch the side of the jar. The jar may become hot. Handle carefully.
- If smoking occurs, check for drafts or high traffic areas, which may cause the flame to flicker and smoke. Also, be sure that the wick is trimmed to the length stated on your candle’s bottom label. If it is longer, then extinguish, trim the wick, and relight.
- To minimize wax left on the sides of the jar, burn your candle for 4 hours at a time. It is normal for a small amount of wax to be left. The amount may vary by color, fragrance, and burning conditions.
- Prevent potential heat damage to counters and surfaces by discontinuing use when 1/2" of wax remains at the bottom of the jar. (1/4" of wax for Yankee Candle® Minis). Only burn in a suitable holder, or on a plate or other fire- and heat-resistant surface.
- Extinguish your candle carefully and completely before placing a lid on top. We recommend the use of a candle snuffer.
Scented Tea Light Candles™ Candles
- Do not burn in an enclosed space like a potpourri pot. For this purpose, use Unscented Tea Light Candles, and be sure the burner is well ventilated.
- If wick smokes or builds up carbon, extinguish flame and remove the carbon before relighting.
Samplers® Votive Candles
- Burn only in an appropriate holder. Do not burn freestanding.