Safety & Burn Times
This information will help you get the most out of all your Yankee Candle® products!
Safety And Burning Tips
At Yankee Candle, we want you to experience the maximum enjoyment and pleasure from our candles. We take great pride in making them using only the finest quality ingredients and materials. However, it's very important that you burn candles responsibly to ensure their safe use. Please follow these guidelines to keep your candles a bright and beautiful part of your life.
- Remove all packaging before lighting.
- Place on a protected, heat-resistant, dry surface, away from anything that can catch fire, and out of reach of children and pets. Use holders designed for the particular candle style.
- Keep wick(s) trimmed to 1/8 of an inch at all times.
- If smoking occurs, blow candle out. Trim wick(s), remove trimmings, and relight.
- Keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches, or any combustible material. Keep the wick centered.
- Avoid burning candles in drafts.
- Never leave burning candles unattended. Keep them within sight at all times.
- Keep all matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
- Teach everyone in the family the rules of safe candle use.
How to Store Your Candle Properly
The candle wax and fragrance oils we use in our candles are sensitive to both temperature and light, so please be careful when storing candles for an extended period of time. If you store your candle, be sure it is in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight or intense light. Keeping it in a dark place like a cupboard or box will protect it from fading and discoloration.
Since our candles can be sensitive to extreme cold and heat, it’s best to store them between 50ºF and 85ºF. Be sure not to leave our candles in your car for an extended period of time (particularly on hot days) as they may melt or discolor. Extreme cold may cause cracking and separation. After long exposure to cold temperatures, allow the candle to return to room temperature for at least 2 hours before burning it.
Classic Jar and Tumbler Candles
- Please handle glass containers with care. Avoid glass-to-glass contact when removing or replacing the lid. Do not use if the jar is cracked, chipped, or scratched. Do not refill with wax.
- Do not allow the flame to touch the side of the jar. The jar may become hot. Handle carefully.
- If smoking occurs, check for drafts or high traffic areas, which may cause flame to flicker and smoke. Also, be sure that the wick is no longer than 1/8". If it is, extinguish, trim to 1/8", and relight.
- To minimize wax left on the sides of the jar, burn your candle for 3 hours at a time. It is normal for a small amount of wax to be left. The amount may vary by color, fragrance, and burning conditions.
- Prevent possible heat damage to the counter/surface by discontinuing use when 1/2" of wax remains at the bottom of the jar. Only burn in a suitable holder, or on a plate or other other fire- and heat-resistant
- Extinguish carefully before replacing the lid.
- When wax pool reaches the candle's edge, extinguish flame and allow candle to harden before relighting. This will prevent dripping.
- Discontinue use when 1/2" of wax remains at the bottom of the container.
- Never place directly on furniture. Only burn in an appropriate holder.
YANKEE CANDLE® Elevation Collection with Platform Lid
- Keep your wick trimmed to 1/8" at all times.
- Each time you burn your candle, allow the entire top layer to liquify, to unleash the full power of the fragrance.
- Always burn your candle on a heat-resistant surface, keep it out of drafts and never leave it unattended while lit.
- When only 1/2" of wax remains, it’s time to replace your favorite, or try something new!
Scented Tea Light Candles
- Do not burn in an enclosed space like a potpourri pot. For this purpose, use Yankee® Tart® Warmers (unscented tea lights), and be sure the burner is well ventilated.
- If wick smokes or builds up carbon, extinguish flame and remove the carbon before relighting.
Samplers® Votive Candles
- Burn only in an appropriate holder. Do not burn freestanding.
Classic Jar Candles
- Large Classic Jar Candles - 110-150 hours
- Medium Classic Jar Candles - 65-75 hours
- Small Classic Jar Candles - 20-30 hours
- Large 2-Wick Tumbler Candles - 75 to 110 hours
- Medium 2-Wick Tumbler Candles - 40-50 hours
- Includes Medium Layered Tumbler Candles
- Small Tumbler Candles - Up to 30 hours
- 3-wick Tumbler Candles 30 to 50 hours
- Large Perfect Pillar™ Candle - 125-165 hours
- Medium Perfect Pillar™ Candle - 80-110 hours
- Small Perfect Pillar™ Candle - 45 hours
Samplers® Votive Candles
- up to 15 hours
Scenterpiece™ Easy MeltCups
- up to 24 hours
Scented Tea Lights
- 4 to 6 hours each
Tarts® Wax Potpourri
- about 8 hours of fragrancing each