Santa’s Cookies Recipe
Everyone knows how much Santa likes cookies — but even he’s never tasted anything as good as these light and flavorful butter cookies topped with holiday-inspired icing. This recipe from our friends at Calphalon® is the perfect complement to our Magical Christmas Morning Collection fragrances!
Prep: Under 15 minutes (plus refrigeration) | Cooking: Under 60 minutes
Makes 1 dozen 4-inch cookies or 20 3-inch cookies
• 14 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
• 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
• 2 large egg yolks
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
• 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 4 1/2 – 5 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
• 1 large egg white
• 2 – 3 drops of fresh lemon juice
• Food coloring
• Pastry bags or new paint brushes
To prepare and bake the dough:
• Cream the butter for 30 seconds in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a flat paddle.
• Add sugar and mix on low speed to incorporate.
• Add egg yolks and extracts, and mix just until incorporated.
• Add flour and mix until dough just comes together.
• Shape dough into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
• Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C. Grease two cookie sheets. Remove dough from the refrigerator and wait 10 minutes before rolling.
• On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough 1/8-in. to 1/4-in. thick. Cut into desired shapes, then transfer to prepared cookie sheets.
• Bake 8 - 10 minutes or until the edges of the cookies begin to turn golden. Remove cookies with a spatula and cool on a rack.
To prepare and add the icing:
• Whisk the sugar, egg white, and lemon juice together in a bowl until smooth and creamy. Adjust with water or additional confectioners’ sugar if necessary.
• Divide and color the icing as desired. Icing will dry quickly, so keep covered with plastic wrap, laid directly on the surface, as you work. Apply with an icing spatula, a small and clean paint brush, or a pastry bag.